In 1942 a group of local businessmen met to sponsor an Air Cadet Squadron in the St. James area as requested by the Air Cadet League of Canada, Manitoba Branch. This squadron was approved by the Air Cadet League of Canada and received its charter on 1 October 1942. While no record currently exists, it is believed that from its inception, the squadron paraded out of a hanger on Ferry Rd along with many other squadrons. In 1946, members of the St James Kiwanis Club met with the secretary of the Air Cadet League of Canada, Manitoba Branch to discuss the possibility of the St James Kiwanis Club becoming a sponsor. On 2 May 1946 the formal transfer of sponsorship papers were signed. In October of 1956 the Squadron’s name was officially changed to No 170 City of St. James Air Cadet Squadron and was sponsored solely by the Kiwanis for 40 years. At some point in the 70s, the squadron moved to its current home in 17 Wing Winnipeg, Building 21. In 1996 the parents committee worked with the Kiwanis Club of St. James and eventually assumed the overall sponsoring duties of the Squadron. In 2002 the parents committee became the Squadron Sponsoring Committee and the name of the Squadron was officially changed to 170 St. James Squadron.
Former Commanding Officers
F/L T E Bowes - 1951 until 1958 Maj A H Morrison -1959 until 1969 Maj W Sadonick - 1969 until 1976 Maj Dave Odell - 1 June 1976 to 24 May 1991 Capt Maureen Caron - 24 May 1991 to unknown Capt Paul Ramesar - dates unknown Capt Lara Yamniuk - until November 1993 Capt Kim Agostinho - November 1993 to 25 May 1997 Maj Nanette Nazar, CD - 25 May 1997 to 29 September 2000 Maj Doug Kendall - 29 September 2000 to 12 September 2003 Capt Gord Enright, CD - 12 September 2003 to 24 October 2008 Capt Darlene Christie - 24 October 2008 to 22 May 2009 Capt Meaghan Flook - 22 May 2009 to 6 December 2013 Maj Mark MacPherson - 6 December 2013 to 23 May 2015 Captain Ryan Tardi - 23 May 2015 to 9 June 2018